Skip to main content

FAQ: Dual Enrollment

Do Dual Enrollment Credits Transfer to a University?

Rio Salado College Dual Enrollment credits transfer to all Arizona public colleges and universities. Through our articulation agreements, many colleges outside the state accept dual enrollment credits as well.

Dual Enrollment or Advanced Placement?

Dual enrollment and advanced placement courses are both good options for students. The difference is dual enrollment students receive a grade and credit for the work performed throughout the year. These credits usually transfer to the student's college of choice as direct course equivalents.

Advanced Placement classes require students to pass the AP test to earn college credit. Credit is awarded solely on the students' performance on this one exam and may transfer to college only as an elective credit.

Who is Eligible to Take Dual Enrollment Courses?

Dual Enrollment students must meet college admission requirements and the prerequisite criteria for the course. Click here for more information.

How do I Register?

The high school distributes information on accessing online Dual Enrollment registration information and forms, or students can go directly to Sign Up and Register Now.
New students ONLY start Step 1. Returning students review Step 3 for Admissions/Placement requirements.
To view the list of dual enrollment classes offered at your high school, click on “List of Participating Schools” in the upper right-hand corner of this page, then click on your high school and Download the Course PDF.

How does Dual Enrollment Differ from Concurrent Enrollment?

Dual enrollment classes meet at the high school during the regular high school day and are taught by college certified high school instructors using a college curriculum and text. The high school agrees to accept these college courses toward a student's high school completion, if needed. Concurrent enrollment classes meet at a college site or online and are not affiliated with the high school. Students interested in Concurrent enrollment must submit a special admission form. Students need prior approval from their high school counselor or administration if they want these college courses to help satisfy high school requirements.

Tuition and Fees

Dual enrollment students pay the same tuition rate assessed for all Maricopa Community College courses. This is a significant savings over private and out-of-state colleges, and about one third the cost of comparable in-state university courses. Current tuition rates are listed in the registration materials. As an additional savings, dual students do not have to purchase textbooks or pay lab fees because these materials are generally provided by the high school.

Tuition Assistance

Some high schools offer tuition waivers for eligible students. If this option is not available from the high school, students may contact Rio Salado's Financial Aid Office to inquire about tuition assistance based on financial need. Funding is limited, so for the best chance of receiving tuition assistance, students should apply several weeks prior to the start of the course.

For all Other Questions

Please contact the Rio Salado College Dual Enrollment Department at (480) 517-8080.